ABOUT NORTHERN OKLAHOMA HUMANE SOCIETY
The Northern Oklahoma Humane Society was founded in 1975. We work in close partnership with the Ponca City Animal Shelter and other area shelters. Our primary focus is to eliminate the needless euthanasia of healthy, adoptable animals in Northern Oklahoma.
Connecting animals in need with people who care.
Northern Oklahoma Humane Society is a 501(c)3 organization that is funded solely by donations, grants, and bequests. It receives no government funding or tax dollars.
The Ponca City Humane Society was formed in 1958, although its roots go back even further. For years Neva Belle Harrod operated as a one-woman humane society caring for strays or finding others to care for them. Judy Elliott took over from Miss Harrod and with her husband, Ellis, formed the Ponca City Humane Society in 1958. The Society was incorporated as a non-profit Oklahoma corporation in 1975. In 1986 a Board of Directors was formed with Larry Hughes as the first President of the society and Charles Greenwood Vice President and Anne Denton as Executive Director.
After a successful local fundraising drive, an animal shelter was completed at 900 West Prospect in Ponca City, Oklahoma, in June 1992. Then in 2019 Charles' son Chuck Greenwood oversaw a 1.6-million-dollar remodel and upgrade to the facility, and the name changed to the Northern Oklahoma Humane Society in 2020.
How We are Funded
The Northern Oklahoma Humane Society is an independent nonprofit 501c3 organization; we depend totally upon the generosity of caring individuals in our area to help us carry out our shared mission, to save lives. We are supported by individual donations, corporate sponsorships, events, wills, bequests and grants. We receive no government or city aid, nor are we funded by any national humane societies, SPCA’s or any other animal protection/welfare organizations. Our programs, services and the animals entrusted to our care, depend solely upon you are community members.